Monday, April 1, 2013

a different kind of holy week


“Lent has flown by this year!” I told Pete a few weeks ago once I realized how quickly Easter was approaching.  He laughed and noted that yes, in fact, Lent does fly by when you aren’t giving up anything.  We weren’t sure how to approach Lent in Morocco, which is 99% Muslim, so we simply focused on trying to adjust to our new lives.

And yet, somehow, the season of Lent found its way into our lives, especially this week, this very holy week.  On Wednesday, the US Ambassador to Morocco swore us in as official Peace Corps volunteers.  Our ten weeks of training are complete.  On Thursday, Holy Thursday, we made our way to our new home. 

Mr. Ambassador and his wife at the swearing-in ceremony.




For the next two years, we will be living in a mountain town outside of Marrakech.  By train, we (us and the other volunteers assigned to the same region of Morocco) made our way south to Marrakech.  Upon arrival, we were greeted by current volunteers who happily helped us find our luggage and the right bus.  They went above and beyond as they dragged heavy bags, negotiated with taxi drivers, and patiently helped us navigate our new community. 

volunteers!  everywhere!

As I sat on the bus from Marrakech to our new site, the sun started to set and the roads became narrower.  The bus had been crazy crowded, but now there were just a few of us waiting to get to the last stop (our town is a little over an hour south of the big city).  As the bus made tight curves, I thought it might be smart to pray to the patron saint of safe travels.  But who is that, anyway?  Forgetting, I decided to hum the Litany of Saints to myself instead.  And before I knew what was happing, I was softly singing Ubi Caritas to myself on the dark bus.  The same song I sing every Holy Thursday surrounded by people I love very much in our spiritual community.

As exhausted as I was after a long day of traveling, I knew that Moroccan food and Moroccan kindness awaited us in our new host family, and that gave me great comfort.  Instead of a Last Supper, we had our first supper with our new host family in our new community.  And it was delicious.

On Good Friday, we explored our new town.  It is beautiful.  It really is.  And though I already find myself homesick for the family we left behind near Fes, I am also incredibly excited to make our home here for the next two years.  As we hiked in the gentle mountains surrounding our town with new friends, exhausted and hungry and confused and happy, I thought that it was, indeed, a very Good Friday.  Communicating is still incredibly challenging right now, and we are muddling through with a combination of Darija, English, and French.  And yet, the word I hear the most is simply this: welcome.  

View from the bedroom window.

From the roof---so, when are you coming to visit?

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness -- I am such a proud father and father-in-law. Love the photos. As beautiful as the Moroccan scenery is, the most beautiful sight is the two of you sunny and dear souls smiling happily. Let the adventure continue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to echo everything Dan said above! Except for the father part, I don't know much about that. But I am terribly proud of everything you're doing and I'm actively saving up for my trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try # 3 to comment because I can't figure out what I'm doing....
    Unlike Christina who is maturely saving her money, I am eagerly awaiting the word for when a good time to come is so I can max out my credit card. Minimal time delay! ;) Miss you both and can't wait to see the beautiful country with you!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was so right that all this change and new life did come during Holy week. I too am so proud of you both. With each installment to this site, what I notice the most is your gratitude. You overflow with it; gratitude towards your host families (past and present), gratitude toward the other peace corp volunteers, and even gratitude towards all us armchair peace corp volunteers. It seems on many levels this simple but new and richer life is such a blessing. I feel your excitement and humor with each new endeavor. I can't wait for the next chapter. love, Andi

    ReplyDelete